A resume is the application letter you send to employers for your job application. A good resume is a written marketing tool to promote you as an outstanding job seeker among other candidates. It is used to sell your skills, abilities, qualifications and experience to employers. A resume is a letter of application that represents you to employers. Below are seven main elements recommended to be included in a resume:
- Personal Data: Also known as personal information. In this section, include personal information such as full name, contact details (address, phone/email), nationality, date of birth and place of birth.
- Academic Background: List down your educational record starting with the most recent or relevant one at the top. This information is required to include the major of your degree, name of university, date of graduation.
- Training Courses: You should provide only important and relevant training courses that add value to your job application. Don’t list down every short course you took at school- they are not necessary.
- Working Experience: Similar to educational background section, list down your employment record starting with the latest one at the top. Include the position titles, full names of company, starting and ending date of employment, main duties/responsibilities as bullet points for each and every workplace you have worked.
- Foreign Languages: Under native language (Khmer), list down foreign languages you can use for work. To make things clear, you should include your English level like basic, fair, good, very good or excellent.
- Computer Skills: Include computer courses that you took at school. Basic computer skills are essential and a must in Cambodia. For example: Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point. Moreover, people love to gives other computer skills such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
- Reference: You should include two to three names for your references. Include their position title, name of institution, phone numbers and email address. Remember to ask your reference’s permission before you include them in your resume.