A cover letter is a written document attached with your resume when you apply for a job. Like the definition of 'cover', as rule it is on the top of your resume. A cover letter should be one page long.
Generally there are 10 elements (details) to be included in an effective letter:
- Sender's address: To begin your cover letter, place your address information on the top of page. The information includes your full name, address, phone number and email address.
- Date of application: Give the current date you are sending your job application to employers. The formal format is something like October 04, 2015.
- Employer’s address: It is the address of the company you are applying to. This should include company, address, phone number and email address.
- Subject line: A clear subject line stating the position you are applying for.
- The salutation: Before the first paragraph, you should write the salutation. eg: Dear Mr….., or Dear Sir/Madam
- Opening paragraph: In the first paragraph, you should state the position you are applying for, when you saw the job announcement and where you saw it as reference.
- Middle paragraph 1: Briefly state your relevant educational background.
- Middle paragraph 2: Briefly state your relevant work experience
- Concluding paragraph: You should emphasise your commitment and interest in the job.
- Sender’s full name with signature: To end your cover letter properly, you need to write down your full name again with your signature.